Friday 8 April 2011

Reviewing Peugeot iPad Application – Week 9

This week has proved quite interesting, as in a couple of hours of down-time, I had the opportunity to assist a Senior Project Manger working on the Peugeot account. By critically reviewing, from a consumer prospective the functionality of the Peugeot 508 iPad App, created in-house by EHS digital designers; with the end result being that my views could potentially contribute to improving future App updates or versions.

Peugeot iPad Application
EHS 4D’s First iPad App
 Built around the campaign concept of “Quality Time”, the App collates content of interest to the target audience from across the web, and packages it beautifully for iPad – giving the reader just what they need to spend some Quality Time.                                                                                             
 EHS 4D (2011)
Viva Technology
A novice to the iPad, yet secretly a lifelong Apple fan; having owned a Macintosh back in day and now owning an iMac and iPod but, similarly a bit schizophrenic, as I‘m fiercely loyal to the good old PC and Blackberry. So, suffice to say the prospect of reviewing the iPad app was overwhelmingly exciting. Firstly, being an iPad novice but likewise a technology enthusiast I guessed it would not be difficult to unbiasedly review its functionality and lastly, because I love gadgets and couldn't wait to get my hands on the iPad!

Reviewing the Peugeot ‘Quality Time’ iPad Application
Prior to reviewing the App I read a 'Functional Specification' document; a step-by-step guide that the developers of the App had created. Which guided me through the App's functionality and content. Armed with the theory behind the app, I than needed to physically review the app.

On first sight of the iPad I found the idea of quickly getting to grips with it slightly daunting, because, as we all know Apples have different operating systems to PCs and vice versa. But, surprisingly it was very straight forward; I was able to find the App on iTunes and download it onto the iPad in minutes. Once accessing the App I was really impressed with it. Mainly, because I assumed...Being a Peugeot product its content would be all about cars, but it wasn't! I would best describe it as being a paperless magazine or newspaper, with content that offers something for everyone –  believe me, at one point I found myself getting really immersed and side-tracked by its many interesting entertainment and lifestyle articles.
    
Once, I had acquired a good idea of how it worked; I than had to update the ‘Functionality Specification’ document written by the App's developers with positive comments regarding the App’s functionality and constructive suggestions of ways it's functionality could be improved. For me this task was interesting because, however, basic it was. It nonetheless gave me good & clear first-hand insight into one way that free technology in the public domain, is continually improved to ultimately enhance the customer experience. Therefore, I’m really happy I got the chance to review the App because who knows maybe one of my suggestions may contribute to improving future versions of the App and thus the customer experience in some small way. 

You can view and download the UK version of the App here .

No comments: