Wednesday 9 March 2011

First impressions are lasting impressions...The Company Meeting - Week 6

In the above blog introduction I promised to discuss the highs and lows of my advertising experience. In previous blog posts I have shared many highs so now I think, its about time that I share the lows, cause I don't want to short-change you. 


The Company Meeting
It was late afternoon, and time for the company meeting. An occasion where the entire agency downs tools for an hour and gathers in Bobbs Place - the company bar. To witness a showcase of all the great creative work happening within agency walls; Senior Mangement inform us of any new business, company initiatives or awards the agency has achieved.  And, its also used as an opportunity to present 'Heroes' with awards for hard-work and welcome 'new starters' to the agency. 

New Starter Embarrassment 
When I arrived at the company meeting, Bobb's Place was packed! So, I took a seat on the floor close to the front of the stage. Our Managing Director kicked-off the meeting by briefly running through the agenda on a PowerPoint presentation. As she did so, my eyes homed-in on the last item of the agenda. Which said 'WELCOME NEW STARTERS' still feeling like a' fish out of water'. 


I felt an acute sense of dread wash over me, because I really wanted to keep a low-profile and I had no idea what welcoming new-starters involved? or what I was expected to do and not do? So, I began to feel the nerves of potentially making a mistake set in. The fear of making a mistake played on mind, to the point I found it very difficult to concentrate on everything that was happening during the course of the meeting. I was trying to think of a sensible strategy I could use to avoid needlessly embarrassing myself. I decided the best thing to do, would be to copy what the other new-starters did - "when in Rome" and all that Jazz! Except when new starter introduction time came around. Guess whose name was first on the list? Mine of course!   When, the Managing Director called out my name. My heart stopped. Than started again, but this time it began pounding 10x faster! 

The Announcement
I was seated on the floor so, I quickly stumbled to my feet. However, instead of staying in one place like a normal person... I preceded to make my way to the front of the stage to introduce myself to the company.  (I was so nervous, really didn't want to be doing it - but,  I assumed that's what I was expected to do.) 


So, yep! I stood up in front of the entire company and said something along the lines of "Hi my name is Jessica, I am the new graduate, I come from West London University and last week I found out I was awarded a First Class Honors Degree!" The entire company gave me an  energetic round of applause and I went back to my seat on the floor, ready to watch the next unlucky candidate make an arse of themselves, like me. Except... this didn't happen. Because, usual protocol was just to raise your hand and say hello! From whereever you were standing . Not, marching up to the front of the stage and telling your life story! The moment, I realised this I could have died - I wanted the ground to swallow me up... I was beyond embarrassed. 

The Aftermath 
When I returned to my desk, the whole team was rolling over in laughter, basically saying "Jessica - your nuts". The Account Director said "what you did was a fantastic PR stunt because now everybody knows who you are, which can only be a good thing!" And, I would diffinately employ someone like you; because your obviously very brave! But, the main thing the team more surprised at - which I honestly never thought they would be. Was the fact I had achieved a 'First' and neglected to tell them. I can't really say why, except that I don't think arrogance is an attractive trait, and I silently felt it was deserved. Because, like many students I had worked hard and paid a lot of money for my degree. Plus, the novelty of achieving a First quickly paled in significance to joining the agency.

The Lesson 
Even though I really embarrassed myself at the company meeting - in more ways than one.  It actually turned out quite well...  As that day, I left the office feeling really silly and embarrassed. However, when I returned the following morning. As soon as I entered the office lots of people were introducing themselves to me and congratulating me on my degree, and in the days that followed I began to make friends and be invited to drinks and events. So I can only figure that my Account Director was right when he said "now everyone knows you". I think, because I put myself out there. Many people have felt OK to put themselves out there with me..

So, I'm less embarrassed because I think that episode has quickly helped me to settle in within the team and the agency.  Therefore maybe the lesson here is "in some situations it pays not to follow the crowd... March to your own beat and see what happens!"

Whats the Worst that Can Happen? 

No comments: